QueryTracker Blog

Helping Authors Find Literary Agents

Monday, October 14, 2013

Ten Things I Need to Tell You. . .About Dreams Coming True

On October 1st, I celebrated the release of my debut novel, a mystery called Murder and Marinara. I have typed those last nine words dozens of times, yet I never tire of them. And that's part of what today's post is about. In the land of publication dreams, there lie some hidden realities--some wondrous, some worrying. And I've gathered a few of them for you in this handy list:

1.The time between signing the contract and your book appearing in print is anywhere between forever and eternity, give or take a month. Seriously, it's a long process. So hang on and enjoy the ride. In the meantime, you'll do things like approve cover sketches and edit jacket copy. That's the fun part. (Revising your entire manuscript with "track changes" on, not so much.)


2Saying "my editor" is almost as much fun as saying "my agent." But don't overdo it.



3. Most people will be happy for you. I have an inbox full of treasured messages of congratulations from family and friends who were giddy with excitement and happiness for me. My best friend from kindergarten showed up at my signing with a bouquet of roses, a bottle of bubbly, and a gift card to an Italian restaurant. Then she bought seven books. That's some love right there.


5. A few will not. Here and there you'll come across those who are envious or unhappy about your success. It's a sad truth, but part of the cost of this momentous achievement. Maybe they're frustrated writers themselves. Or maybe you've said "my editor" one too many times.

6.  You will be a raging diva the week before launch. While it is all wonderful and exciting, the time right before release has an effect similar to that steamy, frothing stuff that Dr. Jekyll drank. About a week out, you'll start twitching; be prepared for bulging eyeballs, bouts of tears, and flashes of temper. Thank goodness your family loves you.



7. Prepare to be obsessed with numbers. Sales numbers. Amazon numbers. Numbers of stars on reviews. Numbers of bloggers on your tour. Numbers of review copies that go out. Numbers of ratings on Goodreads. Numbers of friends on Facebook. You get the idea. I'd like to provide more examples, but I have some flow charts I'm working on at the moment.

8. Have ready answers to the following questions: How long did it take you to write the book? and How did you get published? Hands down, these are the two questions I get asked the most.

9. The party is the best part. Have one. It can be four friends and a pizza, but celebrate. There's only one first time. And finally. . .

10. Having a pen name may pay off in unexpected ways:


The beauty of alphabetical order.






A Jersey girl born and bred, Rosie Genova left her heart at the shore, which serves as the setting for much of her work. Her new series, the Italian Kitchen Mysteries, is informed by her deep appreciation for good food, her pride in her heritage, and her love of classic mysteries, from Nancy Drew to Miss Marple. Her debut novel, Murder and Marinara, released October 1. An English teacher by day and novelist by night, Rosie also writes women’s fiction as Rosemary DiBattista. She lives fifty miles from the nearest ocean  in central New Jersey, with her husband, two of her three sons, and an ill-behaved fox terrier. You can visit Rosie on Facebook, Goodreads, or at www.rosiegenova.com.

8 comments:

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

LOL! What a fun post! Gotta love a raging diva. :-)

Congratulations, Rosie!

Rosie said...

Thanks, Deb! (You'll be happy to know I've stopped twitching. And my husband is still speaking to me.)

Mart Ramirez said...

Love this! Congrats to you!

Rosie said...

Thanks, Martha! It's been a ride, that's for sure.

Angela Brown said...

That is awesome getting a chance to see your book on the shelf next to some great works.

Thanks for sharing a few tidbits about the good side :-)

Rosie said...

Hi Angela,
My son texted me that pic from his local Barnes and Noble, saying "You're in good company!" That's for sure.

Sarah P said...

Love that alphabetical shot! Awesome.

Rosie said...

Thanks, pal! It might end up being the high point of the whole experience.